XMMS-SID is Free Software licensed and distributed under GNU General Public License v2.
XMMS-SID is a plugin for XMMS for playing music that is commonly referred as "SID-tunes" aka music from Commodore 64 computer and it's close relatives. For the actual emulation/playing, XMMS-SID can utilize several emulator engines.
Some features of XMMS-SID:
- Run-time selectable emulation library.
- Supports multiple emulation libraries:
- libSIDPlay v1
- libSIDPlay v2 with reSID-builder
- Several sub-tune selection/control methods as configurable options.
- Automatic sub-tune changer; plays through all sub-tunes in file, starting from default.
- Configurable filter-settings.
- Supports HVSC song-length database and has a maximum playtime check.
- Optionally configurable title-string like in MPG123 plugin (supports also XMMS 1.2.5+ generic titles)
- Standard audio output quality settings.
- STIL (SID Tune Information List) support.
- File information dialog <CTRL+3>, shows normal SID-tune info and STIL info if enabled.
XMMS with some SID-tunes in playlist with file information window opened
The new about-dialog
Emulation parameters #1
Emulation parameters #2
Playtime and song-length database settings
STIL-database and titlestring settings
Sub-tune control-, automatic sub-tune changer- and miscellaneous options
XMMS-SID is Free Software licensed and distributed under GNU General Public License 2.
Current release v0.9.2:
To verify the GnuPG/PGP signatures:
- gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 0x307BAAE3
- gpg --verify xmms-sid-0.9.2.tar.gz.asc
XMMS-SID Mercurial repository
Latest development version can always be found in the public read-only Mercurial (hg) repository.
- Browse: http://tnsp.org/hg/xmms-sid/
- Get/clone via Mercurial: hg clone http://tnsp.org/hg/xmms-sid/
XMMS-SID compatible libSIDPlay sources:
Most Linux-distributions and BSDs should have working SIDPlay library packages, but those may also be out of date. In those cases, the links below may be of help.
- libSIDPlayFP, the improved and actively developed fork of libSIDPlay2. Somewhat more heavier than the original libSIDPlay2, high-end PC (Core 2, Core i5/7 recommended).
- libSIDPlay2, the original one by Simon White. A bit less CPU-hungry than the FP-fork, but use distro-provided packages, if possible -- the tarballs are bitrotted and code from SVN repo did not compile last time I checked.
- libSIDPlay1, for least CPU use, but worst quality of emulation.
For using XMMS-SID, you need at least one emulator library. Additionally, you need XMMS v1.2.10 or later. Also, you'll probably want some SID-tunes to listen to if you already don't have them.
- XMMS-SID on freecode.com - Subscribe to XMMS-SID project on freecode to be informed about new releases.
- XMMS (X Multimedia System) - Probably still most popular GUI music player for UNIXish platforms.
- HVSC (High Voltage SID Collection) - Best SID-tune collection on the Internet!